Monday 23 August 2010

Sunday- Day 3 Summer Sundae

The sun came out! I woke up absolutely boiling in our tent and then opened the zip to see blue sky which meant the shorts could come out and the wellies could go away. With two of my favourite bands playing and the sun shining, I was buzzing with excitement.

The day began at the Rising stage. We headed over there at 12 and went and sat down in an empty tent watching David Gibb do his sound check. More people began to arrive as David Gibb came on to play. His performance was really sweet as he explained the meaning behind each song, something I really liked. He said it was strange having an audience sat down which is understandable as the majority of his songs were catchy and upbeat. After his delightful set he came out into the crowd to try and sell his album and was kind enough to take a picture with us and to sign my programme.

It is hard to put into words how excited I was to see Johnny Flynn and the Sussex Wit. I had been looking forward to seeing Johnny Flynn as soon as his name popped up on the line up, I absolutely adore both of his albums and can not get over how extremely talented the man is. I was supposed to see him in May but unfortunately he had to reschedule to a date when I was on holiday, I actually shed tears when I found out, I was heartbroken. My brother has had the opportunity to see him numerous times but finally it was my turn. I made sure I was right at the front, I wanted the best view possible. During the sound check I was finding it hard to contain my excitement, my friends hadn't really heard much of his stuff but they knew how much I loved him, so I forced them to come and watch. As soon as the set began and 'The Box' reached my waiting ears, I almost burst into tears, it was just perfection. Mr Flynn's impeccable good looks and powerful yet soft vocals certainly did draw in a crowd, it seems I'm not the only one in love. He played a combination of songs from 'A Larum' and latest album 'Been Listening', including latest single 'Barnacled Warship' which allowed him to show off his talent on the violin, one of the many instruments he plays. His set was everything I'd hoped it would be-  with each song, I found myself falling even deeper for the crazily talented Johnny Flynn. I have already booked tickets to go and see him in December and I cannot wait.





After the marvellous Johnny Flynn and the Sussex Wit, I was on such a high, loving every minute of the final day of Summer Sundae and the gorgeous sunshine. We then stayed to watch Junip, Jose Gonzalez's band, on the main stage. I had listened to a few of Junip's songs before coming to the festival and being a fan of Jose Gonzalez's solo work I found it hard not to like them. However, they may sound pleasant as background music whilst sat at my laptop, but when performed, they didn't create the most riveting of sets. I think when the band is playing sat down, that hints that as the audience, perhaps we should sit down too, which is exactly what I went to do after a couple of songs.

The next act on the main stage was The Low Anthem. I hadn't ever heard any of their music so wasn't really sure what to expect. They had a similar effect on me as Junip did- they bored me. The best part of their set was when the microphone broke so they ended up doing a couple of songs completely unplugged to a silent crowd which was pretty special. However, the band didn't really look to be enjoying the performance and to be honest, neither was I, which I why I found myself leaving half way through to grab some yummy chips.

After a couple of, I hate to say it, fairly boring bands, it was a breath of fresh air to see the more upbeat Local Natives. Their performance, which mainly comprised of songs from their album 'Gorilla Manor', was amazing. I loved their final song 'Sun Hands' which I now cannot stop listening to, it sure got me back into an upbeat spirit. They were an excellent band to warm the crowd up for headliners Mumford and Sons. I liked them so much I have got tickets to see them again in November.

As soon as Local Natives had finished we didn't move an inch in order to hold onto our places right at the front ready for the headline act Mumford and Sons. The crowds began to fill in behind us as we waited for the four piece to grace the stage. It was definitely worth the wait.

I can remember watching Mumford and Son's Glastonbury set on tv this year and being overcome with excitement at the thought of seeing them. When they stepped onto the stage cheers and screams blasted out from the crowd. I was unbelievably excited, I knew this was going to be incredible! My friend next me had to try and stop herself from crying, the atmosphere was just crazy, everyone singing along with each song. The band's energy was mirrored by the crowd with everyone dancing to every song. During 'Little Lion Man' (which was dedicated to bassist Ted as it was his birthday), it was hard to hear the band due to volume of the crowd singing along, it was a truly incredible moment. The band were clearly thrilled and loving it just as much as we were as this was the first time they'd actually headlined a festival. At times they even seemed somewhat overwhelmed by the audience's response.  Their set lasted around an hour and 20 minutes and I think every song from 'Sigh No More' was played along with some new material. Songs that stood out for me were 'Awake My Soul' and 'The Cave'. Whenever I remember this performance, I just think WOW. Every time I now listen to a Mumford and Son's song I can't help but smile as it takes me back to probably one of the best nights of my life. I loved every second of it and it was the perfect way to end a fantastic weekend.






Overall, I had an incredible time at Summer Sundae Weekender. It has definitely been the highlight of my summer and I didn't want to leave the terrific live music behind. I want to thank everyone at Summer Sundae for making it such a great festival. My highlights were: Mumford and Sons, Johnny Flynn and the Sussex Wit, Tunng and Slow Club. Although, I loved pretty much every band I saw, the whole thing was such a great experience. Until next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment